Monday, July 9, 2012

Georgetown, Penang: hot and tasty

We recently revisited Georgetown, Penang. It was excellence. When we arrived at the airport, the taxi lady said to me, 'You are very beautiful' and I glowed, and shouted back hotly 'SOAREYOU'. Her flattery was probably a skilled move to distract me from our taxi, which was a vehicular deathtrap. You can sham me anytime, Penang.  

Georgetown is a great long weekend option from Jakarta, as you can get a not-too-long direct flight,  and it feels like a real change, with tasty tasty food and prettah buildings and naice atmosphere.


Squinting will not stop the sunscreen from melting into Julian's eyes, while Theodore has the glassy eyed stare of an infant who would rather be in bed, but is instead forced onto the mean streets by selfish parents.  

I absolutely INSISTED I be allowed to take this photo. Why?
Makes my heart sing. Had to take this photo by stealth. The folksy juice-in-jam-jar-everything-is-recycled-mishmash thinly veiled a precious, hipster fuckwittery: NO PHOTOS. NO SMILES. NO SERVICE.
FAMIRY PORTRAIT
Lots of cool street art
Unlike in Jakarta, we could actually WALK around Georgetown, and our bodies, so disused to physical exertion, pretty much melted in the heat. Luckily there were many magnificent cafes we could recuperate in (i.e share one iced coffee near an aircon vent).



I think what Theodore is trying to say 'IT IS HOT AND SUDDENLY I FUCKING HATE THIS'. Which is EXACTLY how we all felt at the Butterfly Farm. 
Stupidly delicious lunch at the Spice Farm. I want to eat that always, in every moment of my life. 
Proper etiquette.
The ol' 'pretend the menu is a story book' trick at Tek Sen. About a minute after this photo was taken he suddenly and viciously vomited all over me. Fair play, Theodore. Fairplay.
At a crossroads. DEEP MAN. 
At Ananda Bahwan which was across from our apartment. YES BEST!
Pappadum high.




Edited to add:  I really want to recommend where we stayed, China Tiger. We always try to stay in apartments rather than hotels because I find it makes it much more of a holiday if you have a bit of space for the baby to roam about in and also don't have to worry so much about said baby shrieking. Plus you are supporting small business which can help alleviate the guilt of all those carbon miles you used to get there in the first place. Etc etc. Anyway, China Tiger was BEST. It was on the expensive side for just the three of us but done up so beautifully and so perfectly situated it was definitely worth it. 


Also Georgetown is HOT, so much hotter than Jakarta so we really needed this cool oasis to lounge about during the non-eating hours. Actually this is not true because we would bring back food to the apartment so technically all hours were eating hours.  

Behold:









Edited Edited to add: Didn't realise that instead of pressing save, I was pressing publish. Haha, I OWN THE INTERNET.

No comments:

Post a Comment